The soldiers of 25 Task Force Brigade deployed at Damboa in conjunction with elements of Sector 2 Special Forces reportedly made contact with a Boko Haram ambush team along their axis of advance on Tuesday.
According to a statement on Wednesday by the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. John Enenche,
the troops outflanked and engaged the criminals with overwhelming firepower power forcing them to withdraw in disarray.
“In the aftermath of the encounter, 17 Boko Haram/ISWAP criminals were neutralized as several others were believed to have narrowly escaped with varying degrees of gunshot wounds while a cache of arms and ammunition were equally captured by the gallant troops.
“Regrettably, two valiant soldiers paid the supreme price while four others were wounded in action,” according to the statement titled, ‘Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole obliterate Boko Haram/ISWAP in a counter ambush operation along Damboa-Maiduguri road,’ dated July 8, 2020.
The Defence headquarters said the wounded soldiers had been evacuated to a military medical facility and were currently responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole had been directed to immediately deploy a Special Forces Battalion to reinforce and dominate Damboa – Bulabulin – Maiduguri axis to completely deny the terrorists any chance of escape during the final assault against them.
In another development, the troops have also inflicted heavy casualties on the terrorists during an attempted attack on Gubio town in Borno on Tuesday.
Enenche said the operation was a combined efforts of the land and air forces “who overpowered the terrorists with their superior firepower.”
- It’s Ungodly To Gloat Over My Health – Captain Hosa - October 6, 2020
- Queen Elizabeth II Congratulates Nigeria On 60th Independence Anniversary - September 30, 2020
- #BBNaija: Laycon Receives ₦30m Cash Prize, Other Gifts - September 30, 2020