The daughters of assassinated US black civil rights leader Malcolm X have requested that the murder investigation be reopened in light of new evidence.
They cite a deathbed letter from a man who was a policeman at the time of the 1965 killing, alleging New York police and the FBI conspired in the murder.
Raymond Wood wrote his responsibility was to ensure Malcolm X’s security team were arrested days before he was shot dead in Manhattan, his family says.
Three men were convicted of the murder.
The men – all members of the Nation of Islam political and religious movement – were each sentenced to life in prison. One of them has since died, while the other two have been paroled.
By the time he was gunned down, Malcolm X – who was at one time seen as a public face of the Nation of Islam but then left the movement – had moderated his militant message of black separatism.
However, he remained a passionate advocate of black unity, self-respect, and self-reliance.
In 2020, the Manhattan district attorney launched a review of the convictions after meeting representatives of the Innocence Project, a non-profit legal group campaigning for justice for individuals it says have been wrongly convicted.
In a statement, the NYPD said: “Several months ago, the Manhattan district attorney initiated a review of the investigation and prosecution that resulted in two convictions for the murder of Malcolm X.
“The NYPD has provided all available records relevant to that case to the district attorney. The department remains committed to assist with that review in any way.”
The FBI has so far made no public comment on the issue.
- Driver Hits Policeman Off The Bridge In Lagos While Trying To Escape Arrest - February 25, 2021
- It’s Criminal To Go On Strike For One Year – Afe Babalola - February 25, 2021
- Bandits Negotiation: “Who Is Settling Nigerian Youths Not Going To Crime?”, Okey Bakassi Asks FG - February 25, 2021