The Federal Government says 1,600 Nigerians have so far been evacuated from Sudan since the war broke out.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) in a statement said the eight batches of stranded Nigerians evacuated from conflict-ridden Sudan on Monday arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
“The 8th match of Evacuees: 129 Nationals that departed Port Sudan International Airport, landed at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport around 9:25 am local time on Monday, May 8 via Tarco Air.
“Making a total of 1,600 evacuees so far. The good news is, no Nigerian life has been lost so far,” NIDCOM tweeted.
The chairman of the NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa while responding to the tweet said another batch would be coming into the country.
“Allhamdulilah. We thank God for their safe return as we await the others.”
The crisis in Sudan is now in it’s fourth week and has sparked an exodus of tens of thousands of Sudanese to neighbouring countries including Egypt, Chad and the Central African Republic.
Hundreds have been killed and thousands wounded since fighting erupted on April 15 between Sudan’s army led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Mohamed Hamdan Daglo-controlled paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
Submit press release, news tips to us: email@example.com | Follow us @ODUNewsNG