The man based in Phoenix was confirmed dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.
It does not appear they took the pharmaceutical version of the drug, but rather “an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks,” Banner Health said in a statement.
Though Banner did not provide additional details, NBC News spoke to the wife, who said they learned of chloroquine’s connection to coronavirus during a President Donald Trump news conference, which “was on a lot actually.”
They took it because they “were afraid of getting sick,” she said.
Recall that the US president claimed that Chloroquine has been approved as the treatment for COVID-19, a claim which was immediately countered by the FDA’s spokesperson on the spot.
Trump’s rhetorics have however led to people self-medicating with Chloroquine.
Some Nigerians reportedly landed in the hospital after taking an overdose of Chloroquine.
- Insecurity: UK Asks Citizens To Avoid Travelling To Nine Nigerian States - August 6, 2020
- Grammy Win? Thoughts And What To Expect From Burna Boy’s “Twice As Tall” Album - August 6, 2020
- Oyo Govt Approves N59.7m For Amotekun Operations - August 6, 2020