The former terrorists arrived at Maiduguri airport in a military aircraft in the company of soldiers led by Bamidele Shafa, a major general who is the coordinator of the Federal Government Safe Corridor programme.
Mr Shafa said, “We have just delivered 25 persons, comprising men, women, and children,” he said.
He said the ex-Boko Haram members laid down arms and surrendered to the Nigerien government, who contacted the Nigerian government to take them home.
“So we have brought them home safely and handed them to the Borno State government for onward rehabilitation as part of the Operation Safe Corridor de-radicalization programme,” he said.
“We are using this opportunity to encourage those that are still in the bush come out because the president of the Federal Republic has given them an open arm to drop their weapons and embrace peace.”
The Borno State Commissioner of Women Affairs, Zuwaira Gambo, who received returnees said the state government “will provide them with psychosocial support, feed them, clothe them, and give some form of education and skills acquisition.”
She said a centre had been equipped by the Borno governor, Babagana Zulum, with skills acquisition tools that will enable them to gain skills “before they are reunited with their families.”
- Insecurity: UK Asks Citizens To Avoid Travelling To Nine Nigerian States - August 6, 2020
- Grammy Win? Thoughts And What To Expect From Burna Boy’s “Twice As Tall” Album - August 6, 2020
- Oyo Govt Approves N59.7m For Amotekun Operations - August 6, 2020